STOPTOBER – WHY IS IT SO HARD TO QUIT ANYTHING THAT IS BAD FOR YOU EVEN IF ITS ONLY FOR ONE MONTH?!
Stoptober in the UK is a campaign run by the National Health Service aimed at smokers to stop smoking for one month, but we though we would look at why its just so hard to quit anything that is bad for you, even if its only for one month!!
All of us whether we are students or not love at least one thing that is bad for us, alcohol, fatty take away food, smoking………you name it, so why when we are asked to give it up for one month do we struggle and fail? Is it because we are addicted to these bad habits?
We think that the next 10 steps will help you to quit even for this short time of one month……..give it a try……..and let us know how you get on.
- First, anticipate that it may take many attempts to finally quit forever so be ready to make many attempts before you permanently quit
- Do not procrastinate! Start straight away
- Get rid of ALL forms of your addiction in the house. Throw away all of your cigarettes immediately. Pour all alcoholic drinks down the sink, throw away any bad food you have lurking in the cupboards or fridge and freezer to avoid temptation
- Get rid of anything that reminds you of smoking, drinking, eating takeaway….if you can’t see it then you will not want it.
- Stay FAR away from places where people do the things that you are trying to quit and also avoid those people as well, as they are more than likely to try and convince you to revert back to your bad ways. Spend as much time as you can with like minded people or doing new things to take your mind off of it.
- Telling people what you are doing will mean that its all harder to not keep to your promise.
- It’s been said, to get rid of ONE habit, and then replace it with another. Buy yourself something to occupy your time, e.g. video games, TV, books, chewing bubble gums.
- When you go to the shops avoid those aisles that sell the bad things for you, alcohol, sweets, etc…
- Attending support groups will help you to recover and quit in a more positive supported like minded way, try it……….everyone else will be in the same boat as you
- Eat a good balanced diet, and healthy snacks whilst you have a craving………
We want to hear from you with how you have been surviving Stoptober…..email@example.com